Skip navigation


  • Specific application information can be found on each of the course pages. Click on the Apply Now button on your chosen course page for detailed instructions.
  • If you are a UK applicant, most Undergraduate and teaching courses will redirect you to UCAS to register, and make an application.
  •  International applicants will be directed to apply online.
  • Post Graduate study is an online application for all applicants.
  • applications for PGCE are made via DfE 
  • You can find further information on what happens after you apply here.


Undergraduate Home applications should be made via

Undergraduate International and EU applicants are also able to apply online via our course search.

All Postgraduate applications can be made online via our course search.

Click on the following links to find out more about applying for specific campuses or course types

London Campus

Amsterdam Campus

Postgraduate Research

Degree Apprenticeships


International applicants

When adding your address to the application form, please take care to complete each section accurately, do not repeat the same line twice. If this is not done correctly it can cause delays with deposit payments clearing to your account. This will delay CAS significantly.

Generally, we want to know how your current or previous studies have shaped your decision and what experiences you've gained. We also want to know about you.

What  interests you about the subject area or course?

Do you have a long-term career goal? Will this course help you get there?

What are your extra-curricular activities, what you do in your spare time, any relevant work/volunteer experience, and any other achievements?

What skills and attributes you have gained from inside and outside of education? For example are you good at problem solving or have good analytical skills.

UCAS provide tips on writing personal statements which can be found here 

In most cases we would expect an academic referee from your current or former institutions. If however you are applying based on your work experience then references from a current or former employer may also be relevant. We do not typically accept references from family or friends. 

The university works with a number of recognised agents/university representatives worldwide.  They are able to advise on our programmes, support you in your application journey and support you with any visa application. You can find details of representatives in your country here. 

While we can accept your application without all the required documents, we would not consider your application as “complete” until all of these are provided. If you are still waiting on academic qualifications then you can submit your application without these as they are not currently available.  If however you have completed all your qualifications you should ideally provide these at the point of application where possible.

This will depend on your course and if you have additional requirements, such as needing a visa.  As standard, in most cases, you will need to provide evidence of qualifications, personal statement, references.  If you are subject to immigration permission then you may also be required to provide evidence of your passport, visas, permissions to study.  Some courses may also require other evidence such as a portfolio, evidence of RPEL, proof of ATAS clearance, DBS Clearance certificate

If any of your documents are not in English you should also supply a certified English translation.

You can apply with these documents but you should also include evidence of any name change or marriage certificate etc. 

After you apply you will receive a confirmation email and login in details to track your application via our applicant portal. You will use the applicant portal to manage your application up to the point you enrol on the programme. 


Yes, we offer a number of Distance Learning programme. You can view these on our Course Search by selecting Distance Learning in the Mode of Study option. 

We offer foundation year programmes, that lead into many of our degree programmes.  Details of these can be found here.

We also offer specific programmes for international applicants as part of our pathway provision. Details can be found here

We offer of a range of programmes that start in January. Further detail on these can be found here. 

We run Pre-sessional English Language and Summer School programmes in September, January, June and July. You can find out more about the programmes here.  

We offer a range of different types and levels of programmes including Foundation, Undergraduate, Postgraduate, Research, CPD and Degree Apprenticeships. You can find details of the different programmes here

External transfer Information

If you are a prospective applicant currently at another University and would like to transfer into Northumbria University for a degree course that we offer then please read the drop down guidelines below on how the application process will work. 

You will need to compete an application form via our website to be considered. You can access the application form by finding the course you wish to transfer to on our course information pages.  

Select the ‘Apply now’ button on the course information page and it will give you two options to apply.  PLEASE NOTE: at this stage you should choose the International application form even if you are a home applicant, (this just allows you to apply direct to the university and you do not need to apply via UCAS).  You will be asked to create a Northumbria University account before you can proceed to complete your application form.   

Complete all sections of the application form. Under the qualifications tab, you should indicate the year of entry you wish to apply to (example Year 2) in the additional information question.If you are applying for one of our specific top up programmes you should select year 1 rather than year 3.  

Within the personal statement section, we require a brief paragraph on reasons why you wish to transfer to Northumbria. 

You will need to include a reference or a referee contact email, however for some courses, you may be asked to provide a reference at a later date.  

Please upload any transcripts you have from your current university. If these are not available, you must include a list of modules from your current year of study or a link to the university course information so we can consider this alongside your application. You will also need to upload evidence of previous qualifications completed, prior to your current university study.  

If you are applying for an Art/Design or Architecture based course, then you will need to upload a portfolio as part of your application form. If you do not currently have a portfolio to upload, we will request this from you at a later date so please have this in mind.  

We do not accept external transfers for any the following courses:  

BSc (Hons) Social Work  

BSc (Hons) Registered Nursing Studies Adult/ Child/ Learning Disability/Mental Health 

BSc (Hons) Midwifery 

BSc (Hons) Physiotherapy 

BA (Hons) Primary Education 


Final year entry for the following courses will not be considered: 

BSc  (Hons) Sport and Exercise Science 

BSc (Hons) Psychology 

You can apply from September 2022. Please apply as early as possible so can ensure that should you gain an offer with us to transfer institutions, that you will have time before the course starts to arrange accommodation and student finance.  

When you submit your application, the processing team will assess your application. Once a decision has been made on your application you will receive notification via your applicant portal.  

Any requests or communications for further information or documentation to support your application will be requested via your applicant portal.  

You will receive applicant portal login details once you have submitted your application. Please keep note of your applicant portal login details as this is vital for the application process and communications regarding your application.  

Should you need to contact us regarding your application, please do this via your applicant portal.  

If you are transferring into the University from another university on the existing course of study, can you check that you have informed student finance of the transfer so they can update your records prior to the start of the Academic year. Failure to do this will result in delays for the University to confirm your registration or attendance on time to activate your loans with student finance so they can be paid on time. 

Entry Criteria and English Language

We will consider applications that have significant and relevant work experience.  We recommend that you supply an up to date CV detailing your work experience, alongside your applications.

T-Levels: Northumbria welcomes and encourages applications from candidates with T-levels. Applicants with T-levels will be given full and fair consideration when applying to Northumbria and their applications will be assessed on the same basis as those applying with other recognised qualifications. As with all qualifications, we need to ensure that content and learning outcomes provide suitable preparation for an applicant's chosen programme. Some of our courses have specific entry requirements (particularly those which are regulated or accredited by professional, statutory or regulatory bodies) which may mean that some T-levels are not appropriate for entry. Please visit individual course pages for further details on any specific entry requirements.

Northumbria recognises a wide range of English Language Tests and exemptions in lieu of GCSE/IELTS.  You can find details of the tests that we currently accept, here. For certain courses we may only be able to consider certain tests to meet UKVI requirements if you require a visa, or if there are professional body requirements. 

Northumbria regularly welcomes a large number of EU and International applicants.

You can find more information on how your qualifications compare and our typical entry requirements for different countries, here.

We also accept a wide range of EU and International English Language qualifications and exemptions. They can be found here.

If you are not sure if you hold the correct qualifications, then please contact applicant services for further advice.

Entry requirements are available on the individual course pages.  You can view them by clicking on the Entry Requirements tab.

If you have studied EU or International qualifications you can find more information on how your qualifications compare here.

If you are not sure if you hold the correct qualifications, then please contact applicant services for further advice.

Back to top