Skip navigation

Short Term Study Visitor

Students coming to the UK for an English language course between 6 – 11 months long can apply for a Short Term Study visa. Applicants are required to apply for Entry Clearance from outside the UK and will need to meet the application requirements including:

  • Evidence that you can support yourself during your trip, for example bank statements or payslips for the last 6 months
  • Details of where you intend to stay and your travel plans - you should not pay for accommodation or travel until you get your visa 

  • Evidence that you’ve paid your course fees or have enough money to pay them 

  • Your tuberculosis (TB) test results, if you’re from a country where you have to take the TB test 

  • ATAS certificate if applicable 

  • A letter from Northumbria University confirming your course details.  

You can find details of the requirements for the Short Term Study visa here.  

Applicants should not intend to settle in the UK, or use successive leave under Short Term Study to make the UK their home.   

Successful applicants will receive a vignette transit visa, you must travel to the UK before the end date of the transit visa. You will then be able to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) once you have arrived in the UK.  

While in the UK on a Short Term study visa you cannot change course or institution, you must also leave the UK within 30 days of course end date. Failure to do so can impact your UK immigration record.  

Applicants who will be studying a course of 6 months of less in length, at an accredited institution, may be able to apply for a visitor visa. 

Only certain type of study can be undertaken while on a visitor visa, these include: 

  • Study of a programme of 6 months or less in length
  • Re-sitting examinations 

  • Taking part in a viva as part of your Postgraduate Research programme 

  • Study abroad programmes of less than 6 months in length 

You will require a letter from Northumbria University which confirms the type of study you will be undertaking.  

If you are studying a programme which requires ATAS you must apply for this before travelling to the UK, you should apply as soon as you are notified of your ATAS requirement.  

Not all students are required to apply for entry clearance, some nationals can apply for this visa on entry to the UK. You should carefully read the information on UKCISA to assess whether you are required to apply for entry clearance before travelling to the UK.  

If you are not required to apply for entry clearance, and use e-Gates when entering the UK you should keep your boarding pass as evidence of your route and date of entry to the UK. You will be required to show this as part of your enrolment.  

You can get an electronic visa waiver (EVW) instead of a 6 months Visitor visa if you are a national of:

  • Bahrain
  • Kuwait
  • Oman
  • Saudi Arabia
  • United Arab Emirates

If you’re a national of Qatar and you’re travelling to the UK on or after 15 November 2023, you’ll need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorisation (see section Electronic Travel Authorisation) instead of an EVW. 

If you’re a national of Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates you need to apply for an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK on or after 22 February 2024 instead of an EVW (see section Electronic Travel Authorisation).

Nationals or citizens of these countries who hold an EVW document, can apply for permission to enter at the UK border instead. Permission to enter will be granted for a period of up to 6 months.

An EVW document is valid for a period of single entry to the UK. You will not therefore be permitted to enter, leave and re-enter the UK using this document.

Please see further information here.

An Electronic Travel Authorisation (ETA) will soon be a requirement for people who do not need a visa to come to the UK. It will give you permission to travel to the UK, and it will be electronically linked to your passport.

You will need at ETA to come to the UK for up to 6 months as a visitor.  An ETA provides an individual with permission to travel to the UK and must be obtained in advance of travel. As an ETA only provides permission to travel to the UK, eligible individuals with an ETA must also subsequently obtain permission to enter the UK on arrival.

In order to apply you can either use the UK ETA app or apply online on the website. Applications are automated, electronically linked to your passport, and cost £10 per applicant.

The requirement to obtain an ETA will initially only apply to Qatari nationals from 25 October 2023, who wish to travel to the UK on or after 15 November 2023. If you’re a national of Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Saudi Arabia or the United Arab Emirates you need to get an ETA if you’re travelling to the UK on or after 22 February 2024.

You can come to the UK on ETA to study a short-term course of 6 months or less, repeat a module with attendance which is shorter than 6 months or resit an exam. If you would like to study on the course which is longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for a Short-term Study visa (if you are studying on English language course) or Student visa (if you are studying on a full-time academic course towards an RQF Level 3 or above qualification, for example, IFP, Bachelor Degree, Master’s Degree, PhD ) prior to your arrival to the UK.

You can find further information on ETA in this video.

To find out more about an Electronic Travel Authorisation, please visit the website.

Back to top