Skip navigation

The Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship

Everything you need to know about this scholarship opportunity at Northumbria University for women applying to studying for an Undergraduate Engineering and Environment course in 2019/20.


2019/20 Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship

The Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship, for women joining an eligible undergraduate course in 2019/20.

The world is changing, and at Northumbria we stand with you to help achieve your goals. We’re ready to bring together our inspirational courses, forward-thinking staff, dynamic challenges, and women like you. Women who are embracing the opportunity to excel in higher education.

That's why we’re delighted to announce the commencement of our Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship. A fantastic opportunity to be awarded £2,000 cash in your first year of undergraduate study to help achieve your goals, and how you spend it is up to you.

If you’re ready to start your university journey with Northumbria, create your best future, and meet the criteria below, then what are you waiting for?

Apply now

The closing date for the Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship is 16:00 on Thursday 06 June 2019.

Terms and conditions

To be eligible for the Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship you must:

  • be a woman or identify as a woman
  • be a UK/EU applicant
  • apply and enrol to study on an eligible undergraduate course in the Faculty of Engineering and Environment at the Newcastle upon Tyne campus, on a full-time basis in September 2019
  • Choose Northumbria University as your firm choice by 06 June 2019
  • have a household income of under £40,000
  • have no previous study in Higher Education
  • Meet all individual entry requirements
  • be a self-funded student
  • Apply for one or more elements of the Government Student Finance package (for example, Tuition Fee loan, Maintenance loan) in order for your application to be means-tested
  • Register with Student Finance England (SFE), Student Finance Wales (SFW) or Student Finance Northern Ireland (SFNI)
  • Scottish students must register with Student Award Agency for Scotland (SAAS) and apply to be means-tested for maintenance funding, in order that SASS can send your data to Student Finance England
  • Agree to share consent with Northumbria University

Important information

  • Students selected for the Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship will not be eligible for the Rutherford Scholarship
  • The Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship is awarded as cash
  • Payments will be made as 25% of total in November 2019, 25% of total in February 2020 and 50% of total in May 2020 .
  • Funding is only provided in the first year of study, if the course duration is longer than one year
  • If you defer your place at Northumbria University before the scholarship has been paid, the scholarship offer will be withdrawn.
  • If you decide to leave your course after the scholarship payment has been made, the University will not make efforts to reclaim the amount.
  • The University's decision is final and cannot be challenged; there is no right of appeal

Selection Process

  • There is a competitive selection process for the Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship. Applicants need to apply via online written application; a selection panel will consider all eligible applications
  • Applications will be considered on the strength of responses to the question: "In 1918 in the United Kingdom, some women were granted the right to vote for the first time. In 2018, Northumbria University celebrates this landmark decision with the Emily Wilding Davison Scholarship . In no more than 250 words, what does the 100 Years of Women's Suffrage anniversary mean to you?"
  • If successful, the award of the scholarship will be made conditional upon you achieving the required degree classification before commencement of the course
  • Successful applicants will be notified once the panel of evaluators has met in July 2019

Last updated: 15/05/19

Latest News and Features

More news

Back to top